Corn on the Cob. Sweet, juicy, and seasonal, it’s the perfect summer treat for you… but very, very dangerous for your dog.
Corn itself won’t hurt your dog, but corn cobs are extremely hazardous. Every summer we treat seriously ill dogs who have eaten corn cobs.
Corn cobs present a dual danger to your pet:
In their original condition, pieces of corn cob are exactly the right size and shape to lodge in your dog’s intestine and block it completely. Intestinal blockage is a life-threatening emergency situation. At this point, the cob will require expensive and painful surgical removal.
Even if your dog has strong enough jaws to break the cob down into smaller chunks, corn cob material is extremely difficult to digest. Most pets are completely unable to process the substance. They develop serious stomach problems which will require hospitalization to treat. Most will also require surgery to remove the undigested corn cob material.
Of course, you can prevent these things happening to your dog by keeping them strictly away from corn on the cob. Your dog is crafty, and corn is a tempting treat, so be vigilant.
Here’s a list of places where we’ve had client pets grab corn cobs:
From the garbage.
On your own property, and when you’re walking your dog, keep them strictly away from garbage bags and compost.
From the table.
From the kitchen counter.
From the owner’s hand.
Yes, this happens. Either the cob is nabbed from a less-than-vigilant child or dinner guest, or the cob is being held by the owner so the dog can eat the corn, and they help themselves to the entire cob.
If you believe your dog has eaten corn cobs, seek immediate veterinary attention.