We know we’ve blogged about this before, but it’s so important that we like to remind people every year. Easter Lilies are extremely dangerous to all pets. Cats, in particular indoor cats or those who have been housebound all winter, are likely to nibble on any fresh greenery brought into the house. Even a tiny quantity of Easter Lily can cause severe and usually fatal kidney damage. The plant causes crystals to form which literally shred the kidney as they pass into it.
If you suspect your cat has tried even a small amount of Easter Lily, bring them in to see one of our veterinarians immediately. If the amount was minimal, we may be able to limit the damage by treating with IV fluids.
Really, as pretty as they are, it’s best to avoid this tragedy altogether by never having Easter Lilies in your home. We should also mention that while easter lilies pose the greatest hazard as they are the most likely to be brought indoors, all kinds of lilies pose the same dangers, including day lilies and wild lilies.