Sago palm is an ornamental plant that is becoming quite popular and it is deadly. It causes liver failure in cats, dogs and people.
Sago palms are sold as potted plants often with no warning on them and often not even labeled as Sago Palms. They are covered in spines which make people think that their pets won’t try to eat or chew them. That is not the case. The leaves, bark and especially the seeds are very toxic, containing poison called cycasin. A pet can die within hours of ingesting parts of the palm or may recover from acute liver damage only to die later due to fibrosis of the liver such as alcoholics get.
Signs of illness are vomiting, bloody diarrhea, jaundice and bruising easily. As mentioned above some animals never reach this stage and die within hours of ingesting the plant.
If you suspect your pet has come in contact with a Sago Palm and is showing any of the above signs of poisoning seek veterinary attention immediately and bring a sample of the palm along for identification. (This advice goes for any suspected poisoning be it plant or chemical–bring along samples and packaging to help with your pet’s care.)
And of course, avoid having this plant in your home or on your patio.