Your dog or cat’s health, quality of life, behavior and longevity are directly affected by the health of your pet’s mouth. Dental disease affects 80% of all dogs and 70% of all cats by the time they reach three years of age. Imagine never brushing your teeth and then going to see your dentist! You can just picture how unhealthy your mouth would be.
- Plaque buildup begins within hours of dental cleaning.
- Gingivitis and periodontal disease are caused by invisible dental plaque.
- Tartar, which is the brown buildup you may see build up on your pet’s teeth if they are in need of cleaning, is mineralized plaque, which is in turn the perfect growth medium for fresh plaque.
- If plaque is controlled so are gingivitis, periodontal disease and tartar.
- After a professional dental cleaning we want to start daily home plaque control immediately, so that plaque does not get a chance to form.
We are happy to announce that we are now carrying Healthymouth™!
Healthymouth is a daily water additive that controls plaque. Healthymouth is clinically proven to significantly reduce plaque accumulation when used as a part of a comprehensive, veterinarian-directed oral care program. With daily use, Healthymouth is clinically proven to reduce plaque by more than 71% in dogs more than 85% in cats.
Healthymouth contains all natural ingredients: Papain (a natural anti-inflammatory), Yucca, Cinnamon, Pomegranate, Blueberry, Clove, Chlorophyll, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2. You can read more about the benefits of these ingredients on the Healthymouth website. The founder of Healthymouth was determined that she would not put any ingredients into the product that she herself would not be willing to put in her own body every day.
Healthymouth is the only product on the market today with seven VOHC seals for helping to control plaque. The VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) is an organization that has designed a method of objectively assessing a products claims and for recognizing products deemed effective. The council was founded in order to combat the increasing number of products that had flooded the market claiming to prevent or treat periodontal disease in the 1980s. Knowing that Healthymouth bears the VOCH seal lets pet owners know that valid research has been done according to standardized protocols and that there was a statistical significant benefit derived from the product compared to the negative control.
Healthymouth will not treat established dental disease. There is no alternative to mechanical/surgical cleaning under anesthesia. Healthymouth is intended and should only ever be used as an aid in the maintenance of good oral hygiene when starting with a clean, comfortable healthy mouth as part of a comprehensive oral care program that included regular professional examinations, cleaning and treatment.
Healthymouth comes in a concentrated form that does need to be diluted. It does add some colour, flavor and odour to your pets water, so you will need to gradually introduce the product to your pets water to get them used to these changes. The transition from plain water to treated water should only take a week or two.
There are two flavors’ of Healthymouth–one for cats and one for dogs. The cat version is similar to the dog version but also contains some taurine and some salmon oil. If you find that your pet is reluctant to drink the product you can try the other version. There is no problem with dogs drinking the cat version or cats drinking the dog version.
Benefits of Home Care with Healthymouth:
- Extends the benefits and value of professional veterinary dental cleaning.
- With ongoing veterinary care and continual use of Healthymouth at home you absolutely can improve your pet’s dental health; no matter how late in life or grade the stage of dental disease. IT IS NEVER TOO LATE.
- You can now take a pro-active role in your pet’s oral and overall health.
–Written by Beth C., Registered Veterinary Technician at Blue Cross Animal Hospital.